3.22.2011

Erica at Douglas & Co.

Today we are are exploring a new path for Wonderlust with a feature on hair stylist Erica Childs of Douglas and Co. Erica is super talented and although she is a total sweetheart, she is not afraid to tell you when something will or will not work for you or your hair. For me this is the most important quality in a hair stylist.

 


Q & A

Q: What do you enjoy most about being a stylist:
A: I love being able to enhance someones look, whether it's with a fresh new haircut or a fabulous color that really makes the client feel beautiful.  I also love the relationships I have the opportunity to build with my clients.  I learn so much from them and feel lucky to be surrounded by such a variety of great people.


Defined by its lofty, industrial bones and newer additions, the 
interior of  Douglas & Co. is both modern and unpretentious.
 
In addition to an offering of delicious treats you are always a greeted
by a friendly face when you when you arrive for an appointment.

Q: What is the craziest thing someone asked for?  
A:  A female client wanted pink, black and white stripes through her hair...Doing this is sooo difficult to accomplish without all of those very strong colors not getting mushed together when it was time to shampoo the color out. I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to achieve the look she wanted and unsuccessfully tried to talk her out of it. Happily, she loved the results and after it was all said and done, and I felt even more confidant as a colorist.



Q: What makes you the go-to stylist?
A: I was recently certified as a Redken Certified Haircolorist. In order to be certified, you travel to New York City for a two day exam, it's basically like getting your masters degree in color. I also listen to the look that my clients are trying to achieve and give them exactly that.  I never try to push my ideas on them. My clients and I put our heads together to make sure that the finished product is perfect for their lifestyle and desired look.



Q: What is the best thing about working at Douglas and Co?
A: The reason I love working here is because of the comfortable and laid back environment. I am lucky to work in a small setting with a group of people I enjoy being around. Douglas Stalnaker, my boss and owner of Douglas & Co. is also very good to us! He goes out of his way to show his appreciation for us, and it makes all the difference in the world to me.




Q: If you were not a stylist what would you do?
A: I absolutely love doing hair, but if for some reason I was not able to keep doing it, I would still want to do something creative. The idea of decorating someone's home is one possibility that appeals to me.




Q: Last but not least give us a quick rundown of the services offered.
A: We offer haircuts to men women and children, facial waxing, color, highlighting and the brazilian blowout (a smoothing system)


Thanks for your time Erica! Now I encourage
everyone to make an appointment with her stat!

All photos taken by Jona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderlust reserves the right to manage comments and restrict those that do not contribute constructively.